For Adult Learners
Taking the First Step
To participate in the program, Adult Learners must meet certain requirements. They must:
- Have a current Individual Service Plan in Ohio.
- Have a qualifying developmental disability.
- Have graduated from high school in a qualifying year (2020, 2021, or 2022).
- Be committed to meeting with their chosen tutor twice per week for each 16-week session, for a maximum of three sessions.
- Participate in monthly progress monitoring.
- Provide feedback to Adult Literacy Ohio, as requested.
Applications are reviewed by the Adult Literacy Ohio team in the order in which they are received. Learners are eligible for a maximum of 3 Adult Literacy Ohio grants. A limited number of grants are available each session. Meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee you will receive a grant.
Enrollment is currently closed. To join our mailing list to help us build the case for additional support, please fill out the interest from.
What Adult Learners Are Saying
“I enjoy learning new things, reading, and spelling.”
“Wonderful to finally learn how to read. I could not read before, and now I have an interest and some skills in reading. I feel much more aware of things around me because I can read what they are. This program has been life changing!”
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you tell me more about the program?
Our Adult Learner User Guide provides an overview of the program and answers many frequently asked questions.
What is the process for booking my first tutor?
- Complete an application on adultliteracyohio.org
- If approved, you will receive an email notification, and an Adult Literacy Ohio DaySmart account will be created for you.
- Your grant will be added to your account to spend on sessions with tutors booked through Adult Literacy Ohio’s DaySmart account.
- Browse the bios of available candidates to find a tutor that fits your needs.
- Schedule a free interview with tutors of your choice by clicking “BOOK NOW.” Log into your account, select “Intro Interview,” and check out with your grant,
- You will receive an email confirmation of the appointment from the scheduling system. Please also wait for the tutor to confirm the interview and coordinate how it will occur (usually a phone or video call).
- Book paid services with your tutor by clicking “BOOK NOW.” Log into your account, select the session type, and check out with your grant.
- Funds will be deducted from your account as appointments are scheduled. Adult Literacy Ohio will pay tutors on your behalf until your funds have been exhausted.
How do I access my account?
Our How to Access Your Account guide provides step-by-step visual instructions about accessing your Adult Literacy Ohio account for the first time.
How do I book a tutor session?
Our How to Book a Session guide provides step-by-step visual instructions about how to book free interviews and paid sessions.
Who can be a tutor?
*Retired teachers may join the platform with a current BCI Background Check.